This was a recipe created out of necessity. As much as I love living in Costa Rica I do miss my tofu. Silken tofu is readily available here and perfect for this scramble.
Scrambled Silken Tofu
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 yellow onion + two sliced green onions (or any combination of the two), diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
4 large white mushrooms, sliced
1 package firm silken tofu (the shelf-stable kind), drained
1/2 cup of any kind of greens, chopped (I used kale)
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (or regular)
1 1/2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. salt (black salt gives food an eggier flavor so feel free to use that instead)
Freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Sauté onions in oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook until tender.
- Add spices and stir to combine. Cook for one minute to bring out the flavors.
- Add tofu to the pan and break into medium size pieces. Don’t break it up too much as you want to maintain that “scrambled eggs” look.
- Add greens and cook until tender for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle nutritional yeast into the pan and stir to combine.